Saturday, November 13, 2010

Megillat Esther

I enjoyed this graphic novel possibly more than any of the others (with the exception of Maus).  I have seen quite a few of adaptations/interpretations of the book of Esther especially in graphic novels and even in a movie.  Even though the script kind of threw me I have to say after I got used to it and read past the first portion of the book it didn't bother me quite so much.  If anything I think it adds to the story and provides a certain authenticity not possible with other books done only in english. 
Particular to this book I found the depiction of Esther to be interesting and very realistic.  She was curvacious and closer to what a female of the time period and location would have looked like.  I find it interesting that most other books and even movies depict her as dainty and even kind of short (in childrens stories).  Another graphic novel I am reading she is closer to pictures of Roman women.  I have noticed though that the type of story or way the author is telling it makes a large impact on the form of her character.  It is interesting to spend time comparing her drawings in several adaptations as they give way to the authors interpretation and message he/she is trying to convey.
I am very interested to see how the next portion of the story plays out (even though I know the story well).  I would be very interested to know the Hebrew which is alongside the english given that sometimes subtle hints are lost in translations and interpretations.  It would be very interesting to see what the author is not puting in the novel (as far as the Hebrew goes) and examine why this may be.  Overall, great read!

1 comment:

  1. yes I wish I could read the Hebrew too. I was not familiar with the story ahead of time and I'm sure that some things are lost in translation. I feel like I'm getting to watch the movie before reading the book, meaning details are probably just left out. Enjoying the book as well though!

    ReplyDelete