Saturday, November 20, 2010

Last One

I suppose this is a place for last and final thoughts on Judaism and Comic Books.  Here goes..... I have to admit before the class I did not care for comics or even read them at all.  Even though we have read and referrenced them extensively I have to say I prefer graphic novels.  That said Contract with God was my favorite graphic novel in the course. 
It has been an amazing journey to see how artwork and words come together to form memories, opinions, and lost sentiments.  Learning to take an in depth look at every angle and the nuances made by authors I think will have an impact on my close reading overall.  There is truly so much to say that I do not even know where to begin.  I suppose the readings as well as the blog exceeded my expectations.  I have not had a course with blog assignments before and I enjoyed hearing thoughts on the reading materials (and their concepts) from peers. 
I can't help but find myself wandering into the graphic novel section at the bookstores and library.  I can say honestly I would have never given such mediums another thought.  After the story of Maus and Contract with God I have gained a new respect for graphic novels and the rich artwork they present.  For all of the ways I am familiar with studying the holocaust I have to say through the artwork and storytelling it was one of the most shocking.  I think we have all been so de-sensitized to the holocaust that few things really hit us anymore or shock us even.  I have to say that I was once again shocked and intrigued by the question of memory once more.  After so much having been said, what more could there possibly be? A lot more than I thought possible!  

1 comment:

  1. This class has also opened my eyes to more than just the basic graphic novel. I now have a new respect for thos graphic novels not done by Marvel or DC comics. I know I will be looking for more from now on.

    ReplyDelete