Saturday, November 6, 2010

The burden of a generation

I found a particular idea when reading BOS that I found interesting.  On pg 203 Kahn mentions that in the graphic novella "Speaking of the Devil" the child of the angel and demon are expected to bring about a great change.  It is expected that the child which breaks the norm and chaalenges taboos will be the beginning of a new era.  As I thought about this it occured that we do this a lot.
Placing all of our hopes and aspirations on the next generations is common place given taht we assume everything will be better in the next generation to make sure the child/children are successful.  We place a great burden on the next generation that many times they cannot fill.  I remember being in high school and graduating in the year 2000, it was such a big deal to be the new hope of the new millenium.  The pressure was especially from families and communities and even society.  I can recall newspapers interviewing me and my classmates and telling us that in ten years they would again interview us and measure our progress.  While my next interview has yet to occur what about when it does? Why can't we take charge of the present instead of waiting for the next generation to make the world a better place?
What will be the end results of societal pressures on upcoming generations? What does this say for our faith, do we not have faith that we can change the world by also doing unto others as prescribed for Christians, Jews, Muslims, and all other faiths? How faithful are we if we do not have faith in ourselves?

1 comment:

  1. I was the college class of 2000 and remember similar statements/high expectations.

    ReplyDelete