Saturday, October 30, 2010

Star light, Star bright....

For all that I did not care for Jobnik one page really hit me like no other.  The picture with the stars and the jets envokes so many thoughts and feelings.  When I first looked at the picture it was neat but the more I looked at it I couldn't help but feel the enormity of the situation.  Being in the desert in the middle of the night (especially once you're away from camp and/or civilization) gives you a feeling of awe and yet a sudden pang of fear.  You realize that you could get lost in the vast desert.  Then again you feel at peace because you have never seen the stars so bright.  Even for the unfaithful there is an overwhelming trust in the powers (or power) that be. 
I think for Miriam it was probably much of the same feeling but I also think she was feeling small and lost among everything else.  I think at times, and even most of the time, she felt insignificant.  It seems that there was this great puzzle but yet she didn't fit anywhere in it.  I believe Miriam also felt overwhelmed by the current events both in her life and globally.  Everything for her became so real so fast and even though there was the everyday there was also the extraordinary fact of when (politically) that everyday was and where it was.
Given so much criticism for the IDF and Israel as a whole the novel brings to light that at the end of the day we are all under the same stars.  Maybe in part that is what Miriam was saying.  We may all come from different places and faiths but we all sleep under the same moon and wish on the same stars.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. I didn't particularly enjoy the book, but felt the star scene to be pretty significant. I really liked your idea at the end that we all come from different places/faiths, but in the end we all sleep under the same sky. I've never really thought about the night sky, stars, or the moon in this way. Cool thought.

    ReplyDelete